We’re a little late to the game, but A and I recently started watching Scandal on Netflix and we’re totally obsessed.
Do you watch it? Right now we’re about halfway through season 3, and we’re trying to get through season 5 before season 6 airs in the fall. If you’re all caught up please don’t spoil it!
We both have shows that we like to watch on our own, but I love having one show that we’re both hooked on and can enjoy together. It’s always a treat when we have time at the end of a busy day to snuggle up together on the couch and watch an episode together. And with all the time we’ve been spending on the couch, I decided it was time for some new throw pillows.
These throw pillows are super easy to make, and each pillow cover comes together in less than 45 minutes. Plus, the simple design works for any square/rectangular pillow. I opted for 3 pillows – two 20″ x 20″ pillows and one 14″ x 14″ pillow – with three different, coordinating fabrics, but you can mix and match sizes and patterns however you’d like!
Quick & Easy DIY Throw Pillows
you will need:
pillow insert (choose whatever size you like!)
fabric (see step 2 to determine amount of fabric needed)
1. Wash, dry, and iron your fabric. Washing the fabric will pre-shrink it before you sew, making it safe to wash your pillowcase once it’s complete.
2. Cut your fabric into a rectangle according to the following equation based on the size of your pillow:
height of pillow plus 1 inch x double width of pillow plus 6 inches
e.x. If your pillow is 20″ x 20″, your fabric should be 21″ x 46″.
3. Hem the two short edges of your fabric.
4. Lay the fabric out flat, right side up. Place the pillow on top of the fabric. Bring the two short, hemmed edges of the fabric up around the pillow. Wrap the pillow tightly and pin the overlapping edges. Gently slide the pillow out of the fabric.
5. Lay the fabric flat with the overlapping, pinned edges centered. Pin the two open edges closed and sew with a half-inch seam allowance.
6. Turn the pillowcase right side out. Stuff the pillow inside the case and fluff.