I tend to ignore what the calendar says and think of summer as the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Looking at it this way, we’re already almost halfway through the season! Are you making progress on your summer bucket list?
A and I crossed one item – a trip to the zoo – off our summer bucket list a few weeks ago, and we’ll be checking off another item – a trip to an amusement park – next week. At the top of my summer bucket list was a picnic in our favorite park, which we checked off our list on a beautiful, sunny Sunday in June.
Taking lunch outdoors elevates a regular meal into a fun summer event! Some of my favorite things to pack are a cute blanket and basket…
…plenty of sides (like pasta salad and fresh fruit)…
And don’t forget a beautiful spot to enjoy your picnic!
Ready to pack a lunch and head outdoors? See my complete list of summer picnic must-haves below!
Summer Picnic Must-Haves
1. A great picnic spot is key! Under a tree at a local park, on a large boulder next to a creek, or even in your own backyard – any flat, shady spot outdoors will do!
2. A picnic blanket (a waterproof one like this is ideal)
3. A picnic basket (I love this basket) for carrying all your goodies
4. Sandwiches are the perfect on-the-go picnic meal. Just remember you’ll want to stay away from mayonnaise-based options if your food won’t be kept cold. Opt for oil-based dressings instead.
5. Remember to pack sides to accompany your sandwiches. We chose a simple pasta salad (again, opt for oil-based) and cherries.
6. Pack plenty of beverages to stay hydrated. Water is a must-have, but I love serving lemonade with a refreshing, summer meal. Extra points if it’s homemade!
8. Plates, utensils, cups, and paper towels
9. Be sure to bring a trash bag so that you can clean up your picnic spot before heading home.
10. Don’t forget sunscreen!