This easy homemade cherry sauce recipe uses fresh sweet cherries for a simple, not-too-sweet cherry sauce that's perfect for topping ice cream, cheesecake, and so much more!
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 lb. (about 3 cups) fresh sweet cherries, washed and pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and cornstarch and stir until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, add pitted cherries, water, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- When the cherry mixture comes to a boil, whisk in the lemon juice mixture.
- Return the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook the sauce for 1 minute, while continuing to stir constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the cherry sauce to a jar and let it cool to room temperature before using or before sealing and storing for later use.
Storage: Store cherry sauce in a jar or other airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: cherry sauce, easy, homemade, from scratch, cherry topping