These fudgy homemade brownies check all the boxes: they have rich chocolate flavor, perfect chewy texture, and they're quick and easy to make from scratch! So ditch the box mix! One taste of these brownies and you'll never go back.
For anyone who grew up enjoying brownies made from a boxed mix, there's a certain nostalgia associated with their rich flavor and quintessential chewy texture. The chewiness of boxed-mix brownies is their greatest appeal, in my opinion, and it can be a challenge to replicate this texture in a batch of homemade brownies.
Being 8 months pregnant, it seemed like the perfect time to test a new brownie recipe, so I got to work in my home kitchen with the goal of replicating that beloved chewy texture in a made-from-scratch recipe. It took several batches (which I was happy to taste test!), but I finally nailed it. And to all the boxed-mix brownie lovers out there, I'm here to tell you this homemade brownie recipe is even better! Here's why:
- Real, Rich Chocolate Flavor - These brownies are truly indulgent, with a rich, real chocolate flavor thanks to both chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in the brownie batter. I taste-tested these along side different varieties of premium boxed-mix brownies, all of which included artificial flavor, and the flavor just didn't compare to the richness of these homemade brownies.
- Chewy, Fudgy Texture - Beating the eggs and sugar together before adding the other ingredients gives these brownies the most dreamy texture. They're fudgy with just the right amount of chewiness and not at all cakey. (You can read more about what makes brownies fudgy versus cakey below.)
- Side note: If you're looking for an intensely fudgy brownie, check out my fudgy chocolate brownie recipe!
- Thick - These brownies are seriously thick (check out the side-by-side comparison below!).
- Easy - These brownies are easy to make in just 20 minutes using simple ingredients. While no scratch-made recipe will ever be quite as quick as boxed-mix brownies, these easy homemade brownies are worth the little bit of extra time and effort!
What Makes Brownies Fudgy vs. Cakey?
If you're like me, you prefer a rich, fudgy brownie to a lighter, more airy cakey brownie. There's a hint of chewiness in these fudgy brownies, but they're much denser and richer than a cakey brownie. The difference between the two comes down to the ratio of fat to flour in the brownie recipe. A fudgy brownie, like this recipe, has a higher ratio of fat (butter and chocolate) to flour, while a cakey brownie recipe includes more flour and a leavener (usually baking powder) for rise.
How to Make Homemade Brownies with Shiny, Crackly Tops
One hallmark of a perfect brownie is the shiny, tissue-thin, "crust" that appears on top of the brownies once they are baked. These coveted crackly tops are caused by sugar molecules rising to the surface of the brownie batter as it bakes and then drying out. It ultimately comes down to baking science and the quality of the recipe. There are several brownie making methods that claim to create crackly tops, and beating the eggs and sugar to create a light, almost fluffy mixture is my favorite, so that's how we're tackling it in this brownie recipe.
How to Make Chewy, Fudgy Homemade Brownies from Scratch
It takes just a few simple steps to whip up these ultra-rich homemade brownies from scratch!
- Combine melted butter, chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, and vanilla until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together eggs and sugar to create a mixture that is light, fluffy, and pale yellow in color.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, beating until combined.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture just until all flour is combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8 metal pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 50 minutes.
Love these chewy fudgy homemade brownies? Leave a review and be sure to check out these other chocolatey dessert recipes!
- Brownie Bites with Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Caramel Pecan Turtle Bars
- Salted Brookie Bars
- Small Batch Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Bars
DON'T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!