Looking for the perfect summer cocktail recipe for backyard get-togethers? This blackberry basil tequila lemonade is full of refreshing fruit flavor!
Happy first day of SUMMER!
Even though I prefer moderate temperatures, I still spend nearly half the year waiting for the dog days of summer to come back around!
It's the season for sunny days, lounging at the pool, grilling burgers and toasting s'mores.
And it's the season for drinking on the deck.
Which brings me to my third annual signature cocktail of the summer!
This tradition began completely by accident. Two years ago, in June of 2015, Alex and I put a fun spin on our go-to summer cocktail and served it as the signature cocktail at our wedding. We called it the Ferraro Fizz (super cheesy, I know, but our family and friends still call it that!), and it was a gin and tonic with fresh cucumber, mint, and lime. SO refreshing! The drink is easy to make and a real crowd pleaser, so it's perfect for summer get-togethers.
Then last year, in the summer of 2016, I decided to experiment with Pimm's cocktails. I'd recently ordered a Pimm's Cup at a local restaurant and loved the flavor of the fresh fruit paired with the subtly-spiced Pimm's. I created my own Pimm's Cup with strawberries, citrus, cucumber, and mint, and it was an instant favorite! The cocktail has a bit of fizz from ginger ale, and the sweet, fruity flavors are balanced perfectly by the complex flavor of the Pimm's. Since I'd had so much fun creating the signature cocktail for our wedding, I decided to declare this Pimm's Cup cocktail my signature summer cocktail of 2016.
And now here we are in 2017. This year I surprised myself by choosing to make a tequila-based cocktail. You know the saying 'one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor'? I'm a bit of a light weight, so I don't usually opt for tequila cocktails (except when it comes to margaritas, obviously!). But, since it's a great choice for a refreshing summer cocktail, I decided to give it a go!
Like all the signature summer cocktails that have come before, Blackberry Basil Tequila Lemonade is super refreshing! It has a light, fruity flavor thanks to the fresh muddled blackberries and lemonade. The lemonade is made with a basil simple syrup, and the basil helps to balance the sweetness of the lemonade. Together with the tequila, the blackberries, basil, and lemonade create a summery cocktail that tastes even better than it looks!
If you're looking for me, I'll be drinking this Blackberry Basil Tequila Lemonade on the deck!
Blackberry Basil Tequila Lemonade
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- handful basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 6 lemons, juiced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup tequila
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries
- ice cubes
- Make a simple syrup by heating the sugar and 1 ½ cups water in a medium saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Remove the pan from the heat and add the basil leaves. Use the back of a wooden spoon to gently muddle the basil leaves in the syrup. Leave the basil in the syrup while it cools to room temperature. Then remove the basil leaves from the syrup.
- Add the syrup, lemon juice, 2 cups of water, and tequila to pitcher and stir to combine.
- Divide blackberries among 6 glasses (save 6 berries for garnish) and muddle the blackberries in each glass. Pour lemonade over the muddled blackberries and add a few ice cubes to each glass. Garnish with blackberries and additional basil leaves and serve immediately.