Soft, buttery sugar cookies studded with dried blueberries pair beautifully with sweet cinnamon streusel in these easy blueberry cookies with streusel topping.
for the blueberry sugar cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 oz. package (about 5/8 cup) dried blueberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
for the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 T plus 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 T unsalted butter, melted
- Make the cookie dough. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dried blueberries. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and cream with the butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed just until combined, being careful not to over mix. The dough should be moistened throughout but still a bit crumbly. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Make the streusel topping. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pour the melted butter over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until a crumbly mixture forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Bake the cookies. Scoop dough into balls (about 2 T of dough each) and place on prepared cookie sheets. Gently press each ball with your fingers to flatten into a circle 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle streusel topping over each cookie, gently pressing some of the larger crumbs into the cookie dough with your fingers.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are a light golden brown. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: blueberry cookies, sugar cookies, streusel topping