These chai snickerdoodles pair the thick, chewy texture of perfect snickerdoodle cookies with a delicious blend of spices for the best-tasting snickerdoodles you will ever bake! Plus there's no need to chill the dough before baking, making it quick and easy to whip up a batch of this chai snickerdoodle recipe!
for the snickerdoodle cookie dough:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar*
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
for the spiced sugar topping:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cardamom
- pinch of allspice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the spiced sugar topping ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and spices. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer), beat butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add both sugars and beat until combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat on high speed until blended. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl as needed while mixing. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add flour mixture just until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop** or a spoon, scoop 1 1/2 Tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough. Use your hands to roll the cookies into tall balls (slightly oblong, not quite spheres), then roll each ball into the bowl of spiced sugar topping.
- Place the tall balls of cookie dough standing up on baking sheets lined with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies puff up and edges become slightly golden. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
*If you don't have or prefer not to use cream of tartar, you can skip both the cream of tartar and the baking soda and replace with 2 tsp. baking powder. This will result in slightly softer cookies with less crinkled tops, but they will still be delicious!
**I love the medium size OXO cookie scoop for this recipe.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
Keywords: chai snickerdoodles, snickerdoodles, chai cookies, easy cookie recipe, chewy cookies