These are truly the best chewy chocolate chip cookies, with rich butterscotch flavor, tons of melty chocolate, a sprinkling of sea salt, slightly crispy edges, and soft, melt-in-your-mouth centers!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt (plus more for sprinkling on cookies)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer), beat butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract and beat until combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat on high speed until blended.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks and stir on low speed just until the chocolate is distributed throughout the dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, scoop the dough into 1.5 T balls. For extra beautiful cookies, press a few extra chocolate morsels and/or chunks into each cookie dough ball. Place the balls close together on a baking sheet, and refrigerate for 1 hour to again chill the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. When the balls of dough have chilled, place them 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Sprinkle each cookie dough ball with fine sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are dark golden brown and centers are light golden brown and puffy. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before using a spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: Cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container at room temperature. These cookies (both baked and raw dough) are also perfect for freezing. Read my post all about freezing cookie dough and baked cookies here.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, best, chewy, salted