This classic homemade chili is thick, hearty, and full of flavor. Plus it's a quick and easy meal that's sure to satisfy on a cold day!
What's your favorite food pairing? Peanut butter and jelly? Bread and butter? Wine and cheese?
This time of year, as the temperatures dip, my favorite food pairing is cornbread and chili. No cozy fall evening is complete without a warm bowl of homemade chili! I shared my new favorite cornbread recipe with you earlier this week, and now I'm sharing my favorite classic, savory chili recipe.
This chili recipe is a favorite because it's quick, easy, and tastes amazing! The entire recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes (making it a perfect easy weeknight meal!), and it has a thick, hearty texture that my family loves! This recipe actually tastes best when made ahead (so the flavors have some time to meld), so I like to make it on a Sunday morning and enjoy it for several days during the week. Served with shredded cheese, sour cream, and a side of cornbread, it's always a hit!
Classic Homemade Chili
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 30 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Warm oil in a large pot over the stove. Add onion and pepper and sauté until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the pot and brown the meat.
- Add sugar and chili powder and stir.
- Add tomato sauce to pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add kidney beans and bring the mixture to a simmer again.