This easy pound cake recipe makes a moist pound cake loaf with hints of vanilla and almond and puts a modern spin on the traditional recipe.
- 1/2 lb. (2 cups plus 1 Tbsp.) cake flour*, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 lb. (1 1/4 cups) superfine sugar**
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 lb. eggs (about 4 large eggs plus 1 large egg white)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (149°C). Spray a standard loaf pan (8.5 in. x 4.5 in.) with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using a paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer), cream the butter and sugar by first beating butter on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 30 to 60 seconds) and then adding sugar and beating on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the extracts and beat until blended.
- Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed until blended. The batter will be very wet with some lumps of butter.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the cake is domed and golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully turning the pan over to remove the cake. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
Storage: Store pound cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Pound cake can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
*Different brands of cake flour contain different amounts of protein, which will impact the cake’s texture. I recommend Softasilk Bleached Cake Flour, which contains 6.9% protein, for this recipe.
**You can find superfine sugar in the baking aisle at your local grocery store or you can make your own superfine sugar by processing granulated sugar in the food processor.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pound cake, loaf, vanilla, almond