A little tangy, a little crunchy, and totally delicious, cranberry walnut bread is perfect for the holidays! This easy sweet bread recipe makes a tasty Christmas morning breakfast and an impressive hostess gift. It's perfect on its own, but it's extra special served with orange marmalade.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange rind
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar plus enough water to make 2/3 cup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a standard loaf pan (8.5"x4.5") with cooking spray and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar into a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and then stir in the orange juice, orange rind, vinegar mixture, and melted butter.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir just until moistened. Add the cranberries and walnuts and stir just until mixed. (Optional: save a few chopped walnuts and sprinkle them on top of the loaf before baking.)
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the baked loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: Store bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Cranberry walnut bread can also be frozen for up to 3 months; for best results, wrap the completely cooled loaf tightly in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil and a plastic bag or other airtight container before freezing.
This bread is delicious served with orange marmalade.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cranberry walnut bread, quick bread, sweet bread, holiday bread, Christmas recipe