Perfectly moist, full of fresh banana flavor, and baked from scratch, this easy and classic banana bread recipe is the only one you'll ever need.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 small (or 3 large) overripe bananas
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the butter in a standard loaf pan (8.5″x4.5″). Put the pan in the oven to melt the butter while the oven preheats.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas using a potato masher or the backside of two forks. Add sugar and stir to combine. Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda and stir to combine. Add egg and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the loaf pan full of melted butter from the oven. Gently tilt the loaf pan to each side, being careful not to spill any hot butter, so that the butter coats all sides of the pan. Then carefully pour the melted butter into the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and return the loaf pan to the oven. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown and a stick inserted into loaf comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let the bread cool in the pan. Once cool, gently run a butter knife around the edges of the bread to ensure it isn’t stuck to the pan, and invert the pan over the wire rack to remove the banana bread loaf.
Storage: Store banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Banana bread can also be frozen for up to 3 months; for best results, wrap the completely cooled loaf tightly in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil and a plastic bag or other airtight container before freezing.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread