Don't mess with a classic.
Whoops! Today I'm sharing with you a new favorite cookie recipe, in which I took a classic and messed with it.
Do you remember the seeded cookie from Carota Café that I told you about after we dined a Smallman Galley. Remember how I said I would try to recreate it at home?
Well here you have it! A classic chocolate chip cookie gets an upgrade with dark chocolate chips, sunflower and flax seeds, and sea salt. Maybe putting a fun spin on a classic isn't such a bad thing after all!Print
Seeded Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Total Time: about 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. flax seeds
- 4 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Brown the butter in a saucepan. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the browned butter, sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup until well blended.
- Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and stir just until the flour is mixed in.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Scoop the dough onto the baking sheets in 1 ½ Tablespoon portions, spacing the cookies at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Sprinkle each cookie with sea salt, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds before baking.
- Bake until cookies are flat and golden brown, about 13 minutes. You may want to remove the tray from the oven when there are just about 3 minutes left in the bake time, after the dough has flattened and spread, and sprinkle on a few more seeds. Return the tray to the oven until the cookies are finished baking. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: about 13 minutes per tray
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, seeds
Brown sugar is mentioned in the steps but isn't in the ingredients list. FWIW, 1.5c seemed like too much.
Thank you for letting me know! I just updated the recipe to include the measurements for brown sugar in the ingredient list.
Aya @ A Healthy Story`
These look awesome! You take such gorgeous food photos too! Saw your post in the Blissful Bites FB group so wanted to say hi 🙂
Thank you so much, Aya! You just made my day! Food photography can be so tricky sometimes, but I was really happy with how these photos turned out, and your sweet note means a lot!
So excited to meet you through the Blissful Bites FB group! I hope you have an awesome weekend!
Trina and Tina
Yum! Love new takes on old faves!
Thank you so much! I hope you'll give this recipe a try 🙂