All you need are 6 ingredients, one bowl, and 30 minutes to make these buttery, soft, and flaky buttermilk biscuits from scratch. This quick and easy biscuit recipe makes a small batch of just 6 delicious, homemade biscuits.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup (4 T) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Slice the cold butter into cubes and cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until a crumbly dough forms. Add the buttermilk slowly and stir until the dough becomes moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently a few times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Dip the edges of a 2 1/2 inch circle cutter in flour, then use it to cut the dough into circles. (Tip: Press the cutter straight down and lift it straight up to cut the dough, rather than twisting the cutter in the dough. Twisting the cutter can seal the edges of the dough and limit the biscuits' rise.) Re-roll the remaining dough to cut additional biscuits.
- Place the biscuit dough circles in a cast iron skillet or close together on a a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the edges are slightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Place the biscuits on a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.
Storage: Biscuits are best when fresh but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, homemade biscuits, small batch biscuits, flaky buttermilk biscuits, easy buttermilk biscuits