Say “I love you” this Valentine’s Day with 3 dozen blush pink strawberry meringue roses. Your valentine will love these strawberry meringue cookies, made with natural color and flavor!
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature (see step 1 in recipe below)
- 1/8 cup powdered freeze-dried strawberries (see step 2 in recipe below)
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- edible pearl “sprinkles” (optional)
- Separate your egg whites from the yolks when the eggs are still cold from the fridge. (It’s easiest to separate the eggs when they’re cold.) Let the egg whites come to room temperature.
- Place freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor and blend until they become a fine powder. Measure 1/8 cup of the freeze-dried strawberry powder and combine with the sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wash and dry a large, metal bowl to ensure that it’s completely free of grease. Add the room temperature egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to the bowl. Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, stir the egg mixture on low speed until it becomes frothy. Then beat the mixture on high speed until it is no longer translucent and has doubled in volume.
- Continue to beat the egg mixture on high speed while gradually adding the sugar mixture 1 Tablespoon at a time. Wait 10 seconds between adding each spoonful of sugar. (Adding the sugar too quickly could deflate the meringue.) Continue to beat the mixture until it becomes thick and stiff peaks form. Add vanilla extract and beat just until combined.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a star tip (I used a Wilton 1M piping tip). Holding the bag upright, pipe a tight swirl, beginning in the center and circling outward to create a rose shape. When you finish piping each rose, pull the bag away to the side rather than straight up to avoid creating any small peaks that could burn in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking. When the meringues are finished baking, turn off the oven but still do not open the oven door. Allow the meringues to sit in the oven for 1 hour before removing the baking sheets from the oven.
- After baking, decorate the meringue roses with edible pearls (if using).
Meringue cookies are best when eaten fresh. If not eating right away, store in an airtight container for up to a day.
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: meringue, meringue cookies, meringue roses, strawberry meringue