Pink raspberry buttercream frosting sandwiched between soft, heart-shaped sugar cookies makes the perfect homemade gift for Valentine's Day! These Valentine heart sugar cookies are made with no-chill, no-spread cookie dough that's perfect for making decorated cookie cut outs.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 12 1/2 T unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 recipe raspberry buttercream frosting
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour, both sugars, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a food processor and process just until mixed.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and distribute over the flour mixture. Process until the dough resembles coarse meal, about 30 seconds. (See photo in post for reference.)
- Stir the egg and vanilla together in a cup. With the processor running on low speed, pour the egg mixture through the feed tube and process until the dough comes together, about 30 to 60 seconds. (See photo in post for reference.)
- Remove the dough from the processor, place it on a clean surface, and knead it for several seconds, until no dry bits remain and the dough is cohesive throughout.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut 24 cookies using a 3 1/2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter. Cut a smaller heart in half of the cookies using a 2 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Transfer the cookie cutouts to the prepared baking sheets using a spatula and sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of each.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. (You'll know the cookies are finished baking when they're no longer shiny but they have not turned golden.) Let cookies cool completely on the baking sheet atop a wire rack.
- Once cool, spread the full heart cookies with the raspberry buttercream frosting and top with the heart cut out cookies.
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
I used the largest and smallest heart-shaped cookie cutters in this heart cookie cutter set.
Keywords: sugar cookies, sandwich cookies, heart-shaped cookies, heart sugar cookies, pink cookies, Valentine's Day