Blueberry lemon snack cake: moist blueberry cake from scratch topped with citrusy homemade lemon sauce. It’s the perfect dessert for warm summer nights.
for the blueberry cake:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/4 cup plus 2 T all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
for the lemon sauce:
- 1 1/2 T cornstarch
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 T unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup water, boiling
- lemon slices and fresh blueberries for garnish (optional)
- Make the blueberry cake. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 inch round or 8 inch square metal baking pan with parchment and set aside. (If using a round pan, spray pan with cooking spray before placing parchment into the pan, since parchment will not cover sides of pan.)
- Place blueberries in a small bowl and toss with 2 T flour until all berries are dusted with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer), cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well to combine.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Then add the milk, stirring on medium speed just until blended. Add the floured blueberries and fold them into the batter using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and use a spatula or spoon to spread it gently into a smooth, even layer. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- Make lemon sauce. Combine cornstarch with 2 tsp. water and mix into a thick paste. Add to a medium saucepan with sugar, butter, egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, and boiling water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constant, until thickened, about 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Allow the sauce to cool for at least 15 minutes before pouring over the cake.
- Slice the cake and serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh blueberries, if desired.
Storage: Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: snack cake, blueberry, lemon, summer cake, fruity dessert