Blueberry lemon snack cake is the ultimate fruity summertime dessert. This moist blueberry cake is easy to make from scratch and packed with fresh berries. Topped with a light and citrusy homemade lemon sauce, it's the perfect dessert for warm summer nights.
If you love blueberry and lemon treats, this blueberry lemon snack cake is a must make recipe! It's perfect in so many ways. Moist, flavorful cake that's easy to make. A deliciously citrusy lemon sauce that complements the blueberries perfectly. A cake that's no-fuss when it comes to decorating. (Seriously. Just pour the sauce over the cake, and garnish with a few lemon slices and fresh berries, if you want to.)
This cake is simple enough to make just-for-fun at home, yet impressive enough for a special occasion. I love when desserts can pull double-duty like that! Plus, you have the option to bake the cake in a round 9 inch pan or a square 8 inch pan without having to make any alterations to the recipe.
How to Make Blueberry Snack Cake with Lemon Sauce from Scratch
- Prep your pan. This cake can be baked in a 9 inch round cake pan or an 8 inch square pan (metal is best). Be sure to line your pan with parchment paper (and spray the side of the pan, if using a round pan).
- Toss fresh blueberries with a bit of flour. (Dusting the berries with flour before adding them to the batter will ensure that they "float" throughout your baked goods rather than sinking to the bottom of the pan.) Set the berries aside. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then beat in an egg. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, then stir in milk. Finally, fold in the berries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- As the cake cools, prepare the lemon sauce by adding cornstarch, sugar, butter, egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, and boiling water to a saucepan and cooking until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let the sauce cool a bit, and it will thicken more as it cools.
- Pour the mostly cooled sauce over the still warm cake. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh strawberries, if desired, slice, and serve warm.
Should blueberry lemon snack cake be refrigerated?
Nope. The refrigerator will dry out the cake more quickly, and the cold temperature will dull the brightness of the fruit flavors in both the cake and the sauce. This cake should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More Fruity Dessert Recipes to Love
Love this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the comments below! And don't forget to subscribe to ALWAYS EAT DESSERT for even more baking inspiration and tips.Print