Looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe that you can make ahead and take with you on the go? Breakfast cookies are the answer! They're perfect for busy mornings, plus they taste amazing and will keep you full until lunch!
As much as I love sitting down to a hot breakfast on the weekends, during the week I put very little thought or effort into breakfast. If I'm being honest, I usually eat my breakfast standing at the kitchen counter or on my way out the door, so quick and easy is key. But I also need something that will keep me full until lunch. And, most importantly, something that tastes good!
Breakfast cookies check all of the boxes!
But while you don't have to twist my arm to get me to eat cookies for breakfast, breakfast cookies have a bit of a bad rap. Most breakfast cookie recipes I've encountered are overly wet (often because they're made with mashed banana), leading to a soggy cookie. Or they're over-stuffed with different oats, seeds, and flours, leading to a cookie that's dry and crumbly.
These breakfast cookies are different! Trust me when I tell you these cookies are soft and chewy, reminiscent of your favorite oatmeal raisin cookie or chocolate chip cookie. They're made without banana for a true cookie texture. It's truly like eating cookies for breakfast!
Breakfast Cookies: a Quick and Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast for Busy Mornings
Here's what makes these oatmeal dark chocolate chunk breakfast cookies so amazing:
- They're quick and easy. You can throw the cookie dough together in less than 20 minutes, and the cookies bake for just 12 minutes! And you don't need any special equipment to make the dough. (Read: less dishes to wash, yay!)
- You can make them ahead of time. Whip up a batch of cookies over the weekend. It'll take you less than an hour from start to finish (so you won't have to spend your whole weekend meal-prepping), and the cookies will stay soft and fresh all week.
- They're perfect for busy mornings on-the-go. Grab a cookie before you run out the door. No dishes or utensils required (though a napkin is probably a good idea!).
- They're satisfying and healthy. Thanks to lots of oats and a bit of peanut butter, one or two of these cookies will keep you full until lunch. Plus they're made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey (rather than all-purpose flour and cane sugar, like traditional dessert cookies), which makes them appropriate for breakfast in my book!
- They're delicious. These cookies have delicious flavor thanks to dark chocolate, cinnamon, honey, and peanut butter. And, because they're packed with oats and just a bit of flour, they have a perfectly soft and chewy texture. It you served these cookies to me as dessert I would not be disappointed!
Gluten-Free and Allergy-Friendly Breakfast Cookies
As an added bonus, this recipe can be easily adapted to accommodate a gluten sensitivity or peanut allergy. See the "Recipe Notes" at the bottom of the recipe for how to tweak the recipe to be gluten-free or peanut-free.
Do yourself a favor and bake a batch of these oatmeal dark chocolate chunk breakfast cookies stat!
Love these oatmeal dark chocolate chunk breakfast cookies? Leave a review and be sure to check out these other delicious breakfast recipes!
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles
- Apple Spice Scones with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- Maple Blueberry Almond Baked Oatmeal