These apple spice scones with maple bourbon glaze are a must for cozy fall mornings! They're easy to make and packed with the best flavors of the season!
I’m so excited to be teaming up with an amazing group of bloggers to share recipes featuring our favorite ingredient of the season – APPLES! Check us out on Instagram with the hashtag #aisforalltheapples to see a TON of incredible apple recipes!
Although I’ve certainly learned to enjoy a good savory breakfast over the years (I’m looking at you, eggs Benedict!), nothing beats a fresh breakfast pastry. Give me the option between eggs and bacon or something sweet – a muffin, a cinnamon roll, a scone – and I’ll pick the sweet treat. Every. Single. Time.
This recipe for apple spice scones has become one of my all-time favorites! Full of apple chunks and cinnamon and drizzled with a maple bourbon glaze, it’s all of my favorite fall flavors rolled into one scrumptious breakfast treat. Plus your house will smell incredible while they’re baking!
I’ll let you in on a little scone-baking secret. I use a special ingredient to keep my scones moist and delicious. Can you guess what it is?
Applesauce! It helps to create a dough that’s the perfect consistency so that you’ll have moist scones every time. No dry, tasteless scones here!
Also, you’ll notice that I freeze the dough for 30 minutes before baking. This serves two purposes. 1) By chilling the fat (butter) within the dough before baking, you’ll get scones with a flakier texture. (Sound familiar? Pie crust should be chilled for the same reason.) 2) Chilling the dough also relaxes the gluten in the flour, which will give the scones a more tender texture and improve their rise.
Check out the video to see just how easy it is to whip up a batch of these apple spice scones for breakfast! Then get to baking!Print
Apple Spice Scones with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- Yield: 8 scones 1x
for the scones:
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped apple (about ¾ of a medium sized apple)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
for the glaze:
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. bourbon whiskey
- Make the dough. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices. Using a pastry blender, mix butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in the chopped apple.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. Pour the applesauce mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until the dough is moistened throughout.
- Shape the scones. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle the parchment with flour. Divide the dough in half and place each half on the baking sheet. Gently flatten each mound of dough into a circle roughly 6 inches across and 1 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, slice each circle into 4 wedges. Gently lift each wedge and separate them from one another on the baking sheet.
- Place the uncovered baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the scones for about 16 minutes or until golden brown. Leave scones on the baking sheet to cool before glazing.
- Make the glaze. In a small bowl, mix the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, and bourbon. Drizzle glaze over scones before serving.
Storage: Scones are best when served immediately, but leftovers will keep for a couple days stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you're not planning to eat them right away, wait to drizzle the glaze over the scones until just before serving or eating.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple spice scones, maple bourbon glaze
This post was updated in October 2017 to include new images and a recipe video!
Leave a Comment