Chocolate cupcakes are transformed into sophisticated, decadent treats when topped with an indulgent Irish chocolate frosting made with creamy milk chocolate chips and Irish whiskey! Irish chocolate frosting is a crowd-pleaser that's perfect for your St. Patrick's Day desserts - or for topping cakes and cupcakes any day of the year.
Cupcakes are a favorite childhood treat of mine, but that doesn't mean they have to be a childish dessert. How do you adult-ify your cupcakes? Lose the sprinkles and frost them with a rich and chocolatey frosting made with Irish whiskey!
Irish Chocolate Frosting
Irish chocolate frosting made with creamy milk chocolate chips and Irish whiskey is perfect for your St. Patrick's Day desserts - or for topping cakes and cupcakes any day of the year.Print Pin Rate
Yield: Frosting for 24 cupcakes or one 9 inch 2 layer cake
- Double boiler (or saucepan and heat-safe mixing bowl)
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- 1 ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant coffee
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine whiskey and instant coffee and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer), beat butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and salt and beat until well combined.
- Add whiskey mixture and melted chocolate to sugar mixture and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 93mg | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 0.02mg
The chocolate and amount thereof is missing from the ingredient list for this recipe. Please supply this info - it sounds like a really great frosting recipe, and I'd like to be able to make it.
Hi Teal! Good catch! Thank you for letting me know, and my apologies for forgetting to include that key ingredient! The recipe in the post has been updated to include the chocolate (1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips). I LOVE this frosting recipe, and I do hope that you'll give it a try!
What a wonderful icing - great for St Patty's Day!