These easy buttermilk biscuits are a must for weekend breakfast! All you need are 6 ingredients, one bowl, and 30 minutes to make these buttery, soft, and flaky buttermilk biscuits from scratch. This quick and easy biscuit recipe makes a small batch of just 6 delicious, homemade biscuits.
I developed a whole new appreciation for buttermilk biscuits during our recent trip to the south. We ate so much incredible food during our time in Charleston and Savannah, and still one of the highlights was the biscuits that were served for breakfast at our B&B in Savannah. The biscuits were hot and flaky and dripping in honey. They practically melted in your mouth. They were just SO GOOD!
I found myself craving buttermilk biscuits after we returned home to Pittsburgh, so I rolled up my sleeves and put on my apron. I love making homemade biscuits because they're just so quick and easy. No need to wake up early in order to make breakfast. These small batch soft and flaky buttermilk biscuits take just 30 minutes from start to finish, so you can roll out of bed whenever you want and still be eating breakfast in no time! Plus, all you need are 6 ingredients and one bowl!
How to Make Quick & Easy Buttermilk Biscuits from Scratch
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add cubes of cold butter to the bowl and cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until a crumbly dough forms. Add buttermilk and stir until the dough is moistened.
- Knead the dough gently a few times on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to the dough and use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles. Re-roll the remaining dough to cut additional biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits for about 15 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden.
- Place the biscuits on a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
And here's a tip! When cutting the biscuit dough into circles, press the cutter straight down and lift it straight up, rather than twisting the cutter in the dough. Twisting the cutter can seal the edges of the dough, limiting the biscuits' rise.
The biscuits are delicious plain, and I love them with a drizzle of honey or a spread of jam. But they're great for so many things! You can top them with sausage gravy, use them in place of an English muffin to make eggs Benedict, or use them as the bread of a sandwich (this is especially great for a BLT). The options are endless!
Love these quick and easy buttermilk biscuits? Leave a review and be sure to check out these other easy breakfast recipes!Print
All you need are 6 ingredients, one bowl, and 30 minutes to make these buttery, soft, and flaky buttermilk biscuits from scratch. This quick and easy biscuit recipe makes a small batch of just 6 delicious, homemade biscuits.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup (4 T) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Slice the cold butter into cubes and cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until a crumbly dough forms. Add the buttermilk slowly and stir until the dough becomes moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently a few times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Dip the edges of a 2 1/2 inch circle cutter in flour, then use it to cut the dough into circles. (Tip: Press the cutter straight down and lift it straight up to cut the dough, rather than twisting the cutter in the dough. Twisting the cutter can seal the edges of the dough and limit the biscuits' rise.) Re-roll the remaining dough to cut additional biscuits.
- Place the biscuit dough circles in a cast iron skillet or close together on a a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the edges are slightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Place the biscuits on a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.
Storage: Biscuits are best when fresh but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, homemade biscuits, small batch biscuits, flaky buttermilk biscuits, easy buttermilk biscuits
DON'T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
This post was updated in August 2020 to provide an improved user experience.