Blueberry lemon snack cake is the ultimate fruity summertime dessert. This moist blueberry cake is easy to make from scratch and packed with fresh berries. Topped with a light and citrusy homemade lemon sauce, it’s the perfect dessert for warm summer nights.
If you love blueberry and lemon treats, this blueberry lemon snack cake is a must make recipe! It’s perfect in so many ways. Moist, flavorful cake that’s easy to make. A deliciously citrusy lemon sauce that complements the blueberries perfectly. A cake that’s no-fuss when it comes to decorating. (Seriously. Just pour the sauce over the cake, and garnish with a few lemon slices and fresh berries, if you want to.)
This cake is simple enough to make just-for-fun at home, yet impressive enough for a special occasion. I love when desserts can pull double-duty like that! Plus, you have the option to bake the cake in a round 9 inch pan or a square 8 inch pan without having to make any alterations to the recipe.
How to Make Blueberry Snack Cake with Lemon Sauce from Scratch
- Prep your pan. This cake can be baked in a 9 inch round cake pan or an 8 inch square pan (metal is best). Be sure to line your pan with parchment paper (and spray the side of the pan, if using a round pan).
- Toss fresh blueberries with a bit of flour. (Dusting the berries with flour before adding them to the batter will ensure that they “float” throughout your baked goods rather than sinking to the bottom of the pan.) Set the berries aside. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then beat in an egg. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, then stir in milk. Finally, fold in the berries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- As the cake cools, prepare the lemon sauce by adding cornstarch, sugar, butter, egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, and boiling water to a saucepan and cooking until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let the sauce cool a bit, and it will thicken more as it cools.
- Pour the mostly cooled sauce over the still warm cake. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh strawberries, if desired, slice, and serve warm.
Should blueberry lemon snack cake be refrigerated?
Nope. The refrigerator will dry out the cake more quickly, and the cold temperature will dull the brightness of the fruit flavors in both the cake and the sauce. This cake should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Love this blueberry lemon snack cake? Leave a review and be sure to check out these other fruity dessert recipes!
- Blueberry Cookies with Streusel Topping
- Blackberry Meringues with Whipped Cream and Lemon Curd
- Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
Blueberry lemon snack cake: moist blueberry cake from scratch topped with citrusy homemade lemon sauce. It’s the perfect dessert for warm summer nights.
for the blueberry cake:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/4 cup plus 2 T all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
for the lemon sauce:
- 1 1/2 T cornstarch
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 T unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup water, boiling
- lemon slices and fresh blueberries for garnish (optional)
- Make the blueberry cake. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 inch round or 8 inch square metal baking pan with parchment and set aside. (If using a round pan, spray pan with cooking spray before placing parchment into the pan, since parchment will not cover sides of pan.)
- Place blueberries in a small bowl and toss with 2 T flour until all berries are dusted with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer), cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well to combine.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Then add the milk, stirring on medium speed just until blended. Add the floured blueberries and fold them into the batter using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and use a spatula or spoon to spread it gently into a smooth, even layer. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- Make lemon sauce. Combine cornstarch with 2 tsp. water and mix into a thick paste. Add to a medium saucepan with sugar, butter, egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, and boiling water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constant, until thickened, about 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Allow the sauce to cool for at least 15 minutes before pouring over the cake.
- Slice the cake and serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh blueberries, if desired.
Storage: Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: snack cake, blueberry, lemon, summer cake, fruity dessert
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!