Strawberry shortcake just got an upgrade... say hello to chocolate strawberry shortcake! This quick and easy recipe elevates the classic summertime dessert with homemade chocolate buttermilk biscuits piled high with sweet strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
If you've been following along for a while then you already know that I love a dessert that puts a fun spin on a classic recipe. It doesn't get much more classic than strawberry shortcake, but this summertime staple is missing one essential ingredient: chocolate. A simple change solves this problem and puts a unique twist on classic strawberry shortcake.
All it takes is a simple substitution to instantly elevate this classic dessert. Swap out a simple, sweet biscuit for a soft, lightly sweet chocolate buttermilk biscuit and you'll wonder why you haven't been using chocolate biscuits for your summer shortcakes all along. After all, it's a well known fact that chocolate and strawberries were made for each other! These chocolate buttermilk biscuits are super easy to bake from scratch, and they come together in about half an hour (including baking time).
Once you have your homemade chocolate biscuits, we'll pile them high with fresh, sliced strawberries. A generous spoonful of homemade whipped cream seals the deal. (Store-bought whipped cream doesn't hold a candle to fresh, homemade whipped cream, so be sure to make the good stuff! It takes just 5 minutes (really!), and this step-by-step video will show you everything you need to know if you're new to making homemade whipped cream.)
More Strawberry Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review on the recipe below! And don't forget to subscribe to Always Eat Dessert for even more simple recipes, baking tips, and inspiration.
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Prep the shortcake components.
- Bake the chocolate buttermilk biscuits and allow them to cool completely.
- Wash the berries and dry them thoroughly before hulling and slicing them. Set aside.
- Make the whipped cream, whipping to medium peaks. Set aside.
Assemble the strawberry shortcakes.
- Slice each biscuit in half horizontally and place the bottom halves onto plates.
- Top each biscuit half with sliced strawberries.
- Top the strawberries with a generous spoonful of whipped cream. Place the biscuit tops atop the whipped cream. Serve immediately.