What do you get when you combine some of spring's best produce and tequila? Strawberry rhubarb margaritas!! Bonus: they just so happen to be refined sugar-free, if that's your thing!
Tequila has never been my liquor of choice (#lightweightproblems), but man do I love a margarita when the weather warms up! So with just a few days until Cinco de Mayo, it's time to break out the tequila and limes!
The best margaritas include fresh fruit. And I'm not just talking about fresh lime juice. My favorite margs are flavored with fresh fruit juices and delicious fruit syrups for a more complex, refreshing, and slightly sweet flavor. My new favorite, FAVORITE is Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas!
I am stoked to be sharing this recipe as part of Margarita Week, a collaboration with an incredible group of bloggers (hosted by the amazing Kate Ramos of ¡Hola! Jalapeño) to share our fave recipes for margarita cocktails and margarita-inspired treats. Follow along all this week using the hashtag #margaritaweek on Instagram so that you don't miss a single margarita recipe!
Inspired by the classic spring time favorite strawberry rhubarb pie, these strawberry rhubarb margaritas are packed with fresh fruit flavor and lightly sweet. The drink still packs a punch, as any good marg does, but the fruit balances the strength of the tequila to create a drink that's fun and refreshing.
To make the strawberry rhubarb margs, we'll start with a homemade strawberry rhubarb syrup. Simmer fresh strawberries, chopped rhubarb, water, and honey until the fruit releases its juices, then strain the mixture to remove the fruit solids and chill the syrup. Combine the syrup with tequila, triple sec, fresh lime juice, and agave syrup, shake with ice to combine, and strain over ice. Garnish with fresh strawberries and rhubarb if you're a little extra. (You are!)
And don't worry... I haven't gone healthy on you guys. BUT this cocktail does just so happen to be refined-sugar free, since it gets its sweetness from the fresh fruit, honey, and agave.
Your Cinco de Mayo celebration needs some strawberry rhubarb margaritas!
Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita
Strawberry Rhubarb Syrup*:
- 1 cup hulled and slices strawberries
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ ounces strawberry rhubarb syrup
- 1 ½ ounces silver tequila
- ¾ ounce triple sec
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce agave syrup
Make strawberry rhubarb syrup.
- Add the syrup ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Allow mixture to cool slightly, then pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl to remove the chunks of fruit. Gently press the fruit with a wooden spoon to make sure as much of the fruit juice is extracted as possible. Refrigerate the syrup until chilled.
- Add margarita ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well to combine, then pour into a glass filled with ice and enjoy!