It doesn't get any better than chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookie bars! To put it simply, they're are the perfect cookie bar. Soft and chewy. Packed with peanut butter and stuffed with chocolate. This small batch recipe is easy to make from scratch, and after one bite you'll wish you'd made a bigger batch!
I think we're all in the mood for comfort food right now, and, for me, these soft and chewy cookie bars are just that. Peanut butter and chocolate are basically my happy place, and anything that feels like an upgraded chocolate chip cookie is exactly what I want to be baking.
These chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookie bars are packed with peanut butter flavor and are super chewy thanks to oats, brown sugar, and egg yolk. Plus they are literally stuffed with chocolate; the cookie dough is full is chocolate chips AND there's a ribbon of rich chocolate filling running through the center of the bars. It's heaven on earth, friends!
Since these cookie bars are truly indulgent, and since most of us are currently baking for only ourselves or our households, I designed this small batch recipe to make just 8 cookie bars. If you'd prefer a larger batch, this can be easily doubled and baked in an 8 in. x 8 in. pan, and I've included instructions in the recipe notes. If you're sticking with the small batch recipe, here's exactly how I did it (using tools I already had available in my kitchen):
How to Bake Small Batch Cookie Bars
Fun fact: almost any bar recipe (brownies, cookie bars, etc.) that's baked in an 8 in. x 8 in. pan can be cut in half and baked in a loaf pan. Instant small batch recipe! A standard loaf pan is 8.5 in. x 4.5 in., which is just slightly larger than half the area of an 8x8 pan. I baked these chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookie bars in a loaf pan in order to have just 8 reasonably-sized bars.
Just like with a standard size recipe, you'll want to line your loaf pan with parchment paper before baking. Check out this post for my easy and effective method for lining pans with parchment paper (I used the same method to line the loaf pan that I use for an 8x8 pan).
When you're ready to begin baking, this from-scratch recipe is super simple!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Separately, combine the wet ingredients and sugar: melted butter, brown sugar, peanut butter, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Then stir the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Make the chocolate filling by combining melted butter and chocolate spread before mixing in confectioners' sugar.
- Press half of the cookie dough into a parchment-lined loaf pan. Spread the chocolate filling over the dough and top with the remaining cookie dough.
- Bake, let cool, and enjoy!
DON'T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!