Just when you thought you didn't need another chocolate chip cookie recipe... say hello to whole wheat chocolate chip cookies! These delightfully chewy cookies are full of delicious flavor, packed with chocolate, and sprinkled with sea salt. Plus this quick and easy no-chill cookie recipe is ready in just 45 minutes!
First things first, make no mistake... these are not healthy cookies. These are deliciously chewy and flavorful chocolate chip cookies that happen to contain added nutrition thanks to the presence of whole wheat flour, oats, and wheat bran.
This recipe puts a delicious, unique, and okay - perhaps slightly healthy - spin on classic chocolate chip cookies!
These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are perfectly chewy (thanks to oats and brown sugar), and they have a rich and almost nutty flavor (thanks to whole wheat flour). Packed with chocolate chips and sprinkled with sea salt, it's an indulgent cookie recipe that you'll want to add to your chocolate chip cookie recipe arsenal.
How Does Whole Wheat Flour Affect Cookies?
Whole wheat flour contains more flavor and nutrition than all-purpose flour, but it also affects the texture and density of baked goods. Baking with whole wheat flour will typically result in baked goods that are more heavy or dense, particularly if whole wheat flour is used in a recipe that is designed for all-purpose flour. This cookie recipe is designed to be made with 100% whole wheat flour, and the resulting cookies are perfectly chewy.
Can I Substitute Whole Wheat Flour for All-Purpose Flour in Cookies?
Generally speaking, no. As I mentioned above, whole wheat flour impacts the texture and density of baked goods and substituting whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour is likely to create cookies that are dry and heavy. Because this cookie recipe is designed to be made with whole wheat flour, the cookie dough contains enough moisture to hydrate the whole wheat flour, resulting in deliciously chewy cookies.
How to Make Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Scratch
These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are quick and easy to make from scratch, no dough chilling required!
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°F and lining baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Sift together whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In another small bowl, whisk together old-fashioned oats and wheat bran.
- Using a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, beating to combine. Don't forget to scrape your bowl as you're mixing the cookie dough.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture slowly, mixing gently just until blended. Do the same with the oat mixture before stirring in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough on to the prepared baking sheets. Press more chocolate chips onto the outside of each cookie dough ball (this makes for extra pretty cookies) and sprinkle the balls of dough with sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes or until the edges are dark golden brown.
What Can I Use Instead of Wheat Bran? (Wheat Bran Substitute)
If you don't have wheat bran on hand and would prefer not to buy some, you can substitute equal measures of wheat germ or oat bran for wheat bran in this recipe. If you prefer, you can also substitute whole wheat flour for wheat bran, though it will have a slight impact on the density of the cookies.Print
Love these whole wheat chocolate chip cookies? Leave a review and be sure to check out these other chocolate chip cookie recipes!
DON'T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!