Classic Rice Krispies Treats - a childhood favorite - get an adult upgrade when made with bourbon marshmallows and brown butter.
Do you ever get a craving for the treats that you enjoyed as a kid? Popsicles? Dunkaroos? Rice Krispies Treats?
I have been craving Rice Krispies Treats for weeks. I have no idea why, but once the craving started, I couldn't let it go!
I've made the classic recipe a million times, so this time I decided to get creative. Instead of using packaged marshmallows, I experimented with making - and then melting - my own marshmallows, which I flavored with bourbon instead of vanilla. I also used browned butter, which lends a rich, toasty flavor to the treats. Last but not least, I added a dark chocolate drizzle on top.
It was so much fun making - and especially eating - this adaptation of a classic recipe! What's your favorite childhood treat that you still love to eat?Print
Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats with Bourbon Marshmallows
- Total Time: 1 hour (includes 30 minutes for treats to chill before slicing)
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
Classic Rice Krispies Treats get an adult upgrade when made with bourbon marshmallows and brown butter.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 36 bourbon marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat the parchment paper with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Brown the butter. Place butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Butter will melt and a foam will begin to form. Swirl the pan occasionally to help the butter cook evenly. As the butter cooks, its color will change from light yellow to golden to toasty brown and particles will appear in the bottom of the pan. When the butter reaches a toasty brown color, reduce heat to low.
- Make the Rice Krispies treats. Add the marshmallows to the saucepan with the butter and stir until melted and combined. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the Rice Krispies to the pan, 2 cups at a time, and stir to mix the cereal with the marshmallow mixture.
- Once combined, spread the Rice Krispies mixture into the parchment-lined pan. Refrigerate the pan for 30 minutes to let the melted marshmallows firm up. Remove the Rice Krispies treats from the pan and slice into 24 squares.
- Add a chocolate drizzle. Melt the chocolate in a saucepan or the microwave and drizzle over the treats.
Storage: Rice Krispies treats are best served the day they are made. Store any leftovers in an air tight container for up to 24 hours.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Rice Krispies treats, bourbon marshmallows, brown butter
Leave a Comment